A Thousand Reasons And Five For New York

I could think of a thousand reasons why life has taken me away from you of late, dear blogger...  But I won't.  I think we're beyond explanations.  I've been terribly tied-held-caught-up with life.  Parallel universes.  Multiple.  Writing-reading-eating-films-devouring-books.  Write or Blog?  Blog or Write? Decisions.  Unapologetically, I've been writing.  Indulged the vampiric lifestyle.  Nocturnal creature.  Eat at will.  Dress code zero.  Stay up late. Watch foreign films.  Read all night.  Wondrous thinking.  Thoughts which elude me now.  Trust me, on the wondrous though.

In recent months, I've travelled a little.  New York surprised me in April.  Every time I step out of a taxi in Manhattan, it hits me.  That rattle 'n' hum, old city, wide streets, fast-talking-street-walking-natives.  Bums.  Suits.  Hobos.  Attitude.  Give me your all, give me nothing.  Just give me something.  Always, I say, we should venture off the island, take a train to Washington or Boston.  That day never eventuates.  And, every single visit, I say earnestly to my friends, I wish I'd moved here.  Coulda-woulda-shoulda.  Instant regret in a moment of too many.  It's an honest thought.

Aside, from the coffee and bagels, spontaneous conversations on the subway, lazy languid strolls through Central Park, and rooftop sunsets - here's my five reasons to visit New York!

1.  The spectacular views from the top of the Empire State Building.  Mind-blowing, awe-inspiring.  Follow the velvet ropes through the winding souvenir trails and go straight to the top.  If you get to NYC and you don't do this, then really, you should just stay home and slap yourself... silly.

2.  An early morning walk across the Brooklyn bridge.  Because, why not?  You're in NYC -just do it!  Take a coffee and bagel, shove your earplugs in and walk.  Or sway.  Little attitude with those hips doesn't hurt either.

3.  Walk The High Line.  A wonderful use of an old railway line that locals campaigned to keep and convert into a public 'green' space.  Again, with the walking and talking... this is the place to do it.

4a.  The New York Library.  Books. Writing. Librarian types with fabulous up-dos. 'Nuff said!
4b.  A ferry ride around the island.  One the best ways to see the cityscape is to get off the island and into the Hudson.  On a boat.  Take your camera and get snapping!

5.  Old friends.  I love catching up with friends when I travel.  One of my loveliest friends lives in NYC and she's always been an inspiration.  We caught up.  I told her that my dog, Freddy had died and she said, "Yes, Talei, I know.  I read your blog!"  And we laughed.  Then she said, "have you finished writing that book yet?"  And I smiled.  Because I realised that through my writing and this blog, my friends and family will always know what I'm doing with my life, all the way over here, in sunny London.  So, I will promise to write more often... here.


A/N: I couldn't resist adding in an extra reason above.  There's plenty more reasons to visit this lovely city, these were just my favourites on this particular trip.  I've posted a few snaps below for your enjoyment.  If you want to see more of my photos, I'm on Instagram, @taleiii.  And, yes - to my dear friend in NYC, if you're reading this post - I am writing away furiously.  Day and night.  Have a fab weekend all!  XO



Caged view from Empire State
Building

Languishing on the Brooklyn Bridge

Rooftop sunset from my hotel



Comments

Pat Tillett said…
Hi Talei! Those are things you just have to do. If it keeps you from blogging, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with being too busy living... Nice seeing your post pop up today! Enjoy...
Danette said…
Glad to see you back but understand the hiatus. Life happens, sweets!

This post is great! Love it and wish I'd made it to New York to see you while you were there. Lovely pics! Hope you had lots of champers!
xoxoxo!
Michael Di Gesu said…
Oh, Sweets,

You brought tears to my eyes. NYC will always be home for me. I pray one day I am able to move back. My biggest regret was leaving my city, my home.

I LOVE NYC and always will. No where else do I feel so happy. I can walk the streets blindfolded and never get lost.

I have traveled the world and I can honestly say NYC has an energy and life of its own... it's indescribable.

I am SO happy you were HAPPY in my home town. I wish I was there to show you around...

i'm in Chicago now... if you ever get here, I expect to see you.....
Talei said…
Oh, you're lovely! Thanks Pat. I've become a little more relaxed about it. I think the main thing is to keep writing. Hope you are well!! xo
Talei said…
Life does indeed happen! Thanks D! J'adore New York. I'll be back, so maybe we can work out a plan! XO
Talei said…
Hi Gorgeous! NYC has a special place in my heart. I love the people and the city, there's such a vibrancy and it's so very different to London. And, don't worry -if I'm ever in Chicago, I will come knocking! Hope you are well, my friend!! XO
Denise Covey said…
Hi Talei. What a gorgeous ode to NYC. I haven't visited. Always worried. I wouldn't find my way around. Now I see I will just arrange to meet Michael, lol!
Glad to hear you've been writing up a storm. Keep us posted. x
Talei said…
Hi Denise, thanks so much for popping by! Glad you enjoyed. NYC is fab, try it, at least once! Also, happy writing to you too and I shall definitely everyone posted. XO
Misha Gerrick said…
Oh yeah, don't feel guilty if you've been writing. Enjoy the productivity while it lasts. :-)
I had similar feelings in New Orleans recently.
Talei said…
Thanks Misha, while the iron is hot, right? Hope all is well with you! XO
Talei said…
I've heard great things about New Orleans. One day... And thanks for popping by my blog.

Popular Posts